Monday, March 19, 2012

the lifestyle editor: my interview






I HEART WORK
New York based ceramicist Michele Michael tells The Lifestyle Editor why she loves to work
Who: Michele Michael
Work: Ceramics designer

Describe your work in 5 words
Handmade, one-of-a-kind, textural, painterly, organic
Why do you love what you do? 
I love it because I am in the moment when I am working with clay. I love making things by hand.
Who or what inspires you? 
Nature inspires me in a big way. I suppose that is somewhat cliché, but it is true. I find nothing more amazing, than the patterns and colors found in the natural world. I spend about half the year in Maine where we spend a great deal of time in the woods or at the beach. 
What is the best advice you have received? 
Take things slowly. I am not sure that I always follow this advice, but when I do, I find that it works.
What can’t you work without? 
The wonder of what the next piece will look like.
What has been your best decision in your career so far?
To build a studio at my home in Maine, so that I have a place of my own to work and this summer, I am looking forward to waking up, having a cup of coffee and walking 50 feet to my studio! 



To read more of my interview please visit The Lifestyle Editor.  Thank you Stephanie Bateman Sweet for including me on your blog!
-Michele xo


photo credits:  top photos by Philip Ficks, portrait photos by Jennifer Causey for




No comments:

Post a Comment